Prep Time: 1 hour 0 min
Total Time: 3 hours 10 min
Makes: 5 dozen 2-inch cookies
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Granulated sugar or colored sugar
1. Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Heat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease cookie sheet
3. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with 2- to 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet.
4. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
(I like this recipe because it has both vanilla & almond extracts)
Sugar Cookie Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsps milk
2 tsps light corn syrup
¼ tsp vanilla extract or almond extract (I use almond)
1. Stir the powdered sugar and the milk until smooth.
2. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until icing is smooth and glossy.
3. It it’s too thick, add more corn syrup.
4. Divide icing into separate bowls and stir in food coloring as desired.
5. You can dip the cookies, paint them with a paint brush or spread them using a knife or the back of a spoon. ( I use a knife)
I thought that I would share the recipes that I used to make the Valentine cookies that are pictured below. Enjoy!